Main Article Content
This study was designed to evaluate the effects of Moringa oleifera (L) aqueous seed extract on aphrodisiac, gonadal and epididymal sperm reserves of Wistar rats. Twenty-five male and fifteen female Wistar rats aged two months weighing 150 – 200 g were purchased and housed in cages at the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria. The Wistar rats were provided with a 12 hours light and dark cycle, fed with pellets of broiler starter and drinking water were provided ad libitum. The rats were acclimatized for 14 days and they were randomly divided into 5 groups A, B, C, D and E. Group B, C and D as treatment groups, whereas, group A and E were negative and positive controls, respectively, with 5 rats in each group and each was kept singly in separate cage. Groups A and E received 1 ml of distilled water and 5 mg of sildenafil citrate orally respectively. Groups B, C and D received suspension of Moringa oleifera aqueous seed extract orally at the dose rate 100, 200 and 300 mg/kg respectively, between 9:00 - 10:00 am daily for 21 days. Female rats were paired with males at a ratio of 1:1, and mating behaviour recorded. Group C and E male rats showed a significant (p < 0.05) increase in mounting frequency (MF), respectively. Intromission frequency (IF) was significantly (p < 0.05) increased in group C and E, respectively. Gonadal and epididymal sperm reserves were significantlydifferent (p < 0.05)between the M. oleifera treated and control groups.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- Akmar K & Noor, MM (2019). Effect of combination of Gynura procumbens aqueous extract and Trigona spp. honey on fertility and libido of streptozotocin-induced hyperglycaemic male rats. Asian Pac J. Rep, 8 (2), 56-58.
- Alabi JF (2005). Effects of energy supplementation on growth and reproductive function of Bunaji and Friesian X Bunaji bulls. PhD thesis, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria.
- Anthony BO, Oladipupo AL, Adedoyin KL &Tajuddin IA (2006). Phytochemistry and spermatogenic potentials of aqueous extract of Cissus populnea (Guill. And Per) stem bark. Sci World J, 6: 2140-2146.
- Anwar F & Bhanger MI (2003). Analytical characterization of Moringa oleifera seed oil grown in temperate regions of Pakistan, J. Agric Food Chem, 51 (22): 6558-6563.
- Ashok KN & Pari L (2003). Antioxidant action of Moringa oleifera Lam (drumstick) against anti-tubercular drug induced lipid peroxidation in rats, J. Med Food. 6 (3): 255-259.
- Asma S, Farooq A, Maleeha M & Ammara F (2005). Antioxidant activity of different solvent extracts of Moringa oleifera leaves under accelerated storage of sunflower oil. Asian J. Plant Sci. 4 (6): 630-635.
- Ayobami OA, Hameed AA & Isiaka AA (2013). Effects of methanolic extract of Moringa oleifera leaves on semen and biochemical parameters in cryptorchid rats. Afri J. Trad Comp Alt Med, 10 (5): 230-235.
- Bhatia DK, Sharma AK, Pathania PC &Khanduri NC (2010). Antifertility effects of crude different of Adiantum lunulatum Burm. On ReproductiveOrgans of male albino rats. Biological Forum: An Int J., 2 (2): 88-93.
- Diskin MG. & Kenny DA (2014). Optimising reproductive performance of beef cows and replacement heifers. Anim Health J, 8(1): 27-39.
- Elzein, M., Fahal, A.M., Babitha Rani, M.D., Aklakur, T.I., Chanu and Neelam Saharan (2018): Qualitative and Quantitative Phytochemical Analysis of Moringa oleifera (Lam) Pods. Int J. Curr Micro App Sci. 7(05): 657 - 665.
- Fatoba TA, Faleyimu OI & Adebayo AJ (2013). The effects of increasing aqueous root extract of Moringa oleifera on sperm production of albino rats, J. Agro Res, 13 (1): 29-36.
- Ghasi S, Nwobodo E & Ofili JO (2000). Hypocholesterolemic effects of crude extract of leaf of Moringa oleiferaLam in high-fat diet fed Wistar rats. J. Ethnopharmacol, 69: 21-25.
- Goel B & Maurya NK (2020). Aphrodisiac Herbal therapy for Erectile Dysfunction. Arch Pharm Pract, 11 (1): 1-6.
- Gopalakrishnan L, Doriya K & Kumar DS (2016). Moringa oleifera: A review on nutritive importance and its medicinal application. J. Food Sci Human Well, 5 (2): 49-56.
- GraphPad. (2000). Graph Pad. In Stat version 5.0 for window 95, Graph Pad software, San Diego California USA.
- Ibtisham F, Nawab AA, Man IR, Li, G, Xiao M, An L & Naseer G (2018). Effects of nutrition on reproductive efficiency of dairy animals. Med J, 74 (6): 356-361.
- Ighodaro OM &Akinloye OA (2018). First line defence antioxidants-superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX): Their fundamental role in the entire antioxidant defense grid. Alex J. Med, 54 (4): 287-293.
- Iliyasu D, Chiezey NP, Ruwaan JS, Ate IU, Bisalla M, Ballah FM & Bugau JS (2014a). Gonadal and Extragonadal Sperm Reserves of Yankasa Rams Experimentally Infected with Fasciola giganticain Zaria, Nig. J. Vet Adv. 4 (5): 529-534.
- Iliyasu D, Chiezey NP, Rwuaan JS, Ate IU, Ajanusi JO, Okubanjo OO and Bawa EK (2014b). Effects of Experimental Fasciola gigantic Infection on Serum Testosterone Profiles in Relationship to Semen Characteristics of Yankasa Ram. Int J. Anim Vet Adv 6 (5): 143-149.
- Kheradmand A, Babaei HR & Batavani, A. (2006). Effect of improved diet on semen quality and scrotal circumference in the ram. Vet. Arh., 76: 333-341.
- Kimchi T, Xu J &Dulac C (2007). A functional circuit underlying male sexual behaviour in the female mouse brain. Nature, 448 (7157): 1009-1014.
- Kumbhare MR, Guleha V & Sivakumar T (2012). Estimation of total phenolic content, cytotoxicity and in–vitro antioxidant activity of stem bark of Moringa oleifera. Asian Pac J. Trop Disease, 2 (2): 144-150.
- Lalas S &Tsaknis J (2002) Extraction and identification of natural antioxidants from the seeds of Moringa oleifera tree variety of Malawi. J. Am Oil ChemSoc, 79: 677-683.
- Lorke D, (1983). A new approach to practical acute toxicity testing. Arch of Toxicol, 53: 275 - 287.
- Ma ZF, Ahmad J, Zhang H, Khan I & Muhammad S (2019). Evaluation of phytochemical and medicinal properties of Moringa (Moringa oleifera) as a potential functional food. South Afr J. Bot, 129: 40-46.
- Mishra K, Soni H, Nayak G, Patel, SS & Singhai AK (2011). Method development and validation of met forming hydrochloride in tablet dosage form. J. Chem, 8 (3): 1309- 1313.
- Moradpour F (2019). A Review on Animals Semen Characteristics: Fertility, Reproduction and Development. Asian J. Advs in Agric Res, (1): 1-9.
- Mukhallad AM, Mohamad MJM & Dradka H (2009). Effects of black seeds (Nigella sativa) on spermatogenesis and fertility of male rats. Res J. Med Sci, 4: 386-390.
- Musa-Azara SI, Jibrin M, Ari MM, Hassan DI &Ogah DM (2014). Effects of Moringa oleifera Linn Seed Administration on Sperm Production Rate and Gonadal Sperm Reserve in Rabbits. Biotechnol. J. Int., 4 (7): 802-805.
- Olukole SG, Oyeyemi MO & Oke BO (2010). Gonadal and extragonadal sperm reserves of the domesticated adult African greater cane rat (Thryonomyss winderianus). J. Rep Bio, 10 (2), 155-158.
- Ozegbe PC & Omirinde JO (2012). Comparative morphophysiological evaluation of the testis of adult Wistar rats fed low protein-energy diet and dosed with aqueous extracts of Cuscuta australis. Niger J. PhysiolSci, 27 (2):149-155.
- Patel J, Gami B, Patel, K & Solanki R (2014). Antibacterial activity of methanolic and acetone extract of some medicinal plants used in Indian folklore. Int. J. Phytomedicine, 3:261-269.
- Salem MH, Kamel KI, Yousef MI, Hassan GA, EL- Nouty FD (2001). Protective role of ascorbic acid to enhance semen quality of rabbits treated with sub lethal doses of aflatoxin B1. J. Toxicol 162: 209–218.
- Shukla VN & Khanuja SPS (2004). Chemical, Pharmacological and botanical studies on Pedalium murex. J. Med Arom Plant Sci, 26: 64 - 96.
- Sumalatha K, Saravana KA & Mohana LS (2010). Review of natural aphrodisiac potentials to treat sexual dysfunction. Intl J. Pharm,1: 10-18.
- Taher MA, Nyeem MAB, Ahammed MM, Hossain MM & Islam MN (2017). Moringa oleifera (Shajna): the wonderful indigenous medicinal plant. Asian J. Med. Bio. Res., 3 (1), 20-30.
- Thimmaiah SR (2004). Standard methods of biochemical analysis. 2nd ed. New Delhi: Kalyani Press.
- Thornton PK (2010). Livestock production: recent trends, future prospects. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society British: J. Bio Sci, 365 (1554): 2853-2867.
- Trease GE & Evans WC (1983). Phytochemisrty of plants. In: Pharmacognosy. 14 th Edition. Alden Press. Oxford. pp. 213-232.
- Türk, G., Ateşşahin, A., Sönmez, M., Çeribaşi, A. O., &Yüce, A. (2008). Improvement of cisplatin-induced injuries to sperm quality, the oxidant-antioxidant system, and the histologic structure of the rat testis by ellagic acid. Fertil. Steril.,89(5), 1474-1481.
- Varsha SZ, Dinesh K, Dabhadkar V, Thakare G &Shital RP (2013). Effect of Aqueous Extract of Moringa oleifera Seed on Sexual Activity of Male Albino Rats, Biological Forum – In Int J Bio Forum, 5 (1): 129-140.
- Watcho P, Donfack MM, Zelefack F, Nguelefack TB, Wansi S, Ngoula F, Kamanyi A (2005). Effects of the hexane extract of Mondia whiteion the reproductive organ of male ratAfr J Tradit Complement Altern Med.,2 (3): 302-311.
- Wattanathorn J, Pangphukiew P, Muchimapura S, Sripanidkulchai K & Sripanidkulchai B (2012). Aphrodisiac activity of Kaempferia parviflora. Am J. Agric. Biol.Sci, 7: 114-120.
- Yakubu MT, Akanji MA &Oladiji AT (2007). Male sexual dysfunction and methods used in assessing medicinal plants with aphrodisiac potentials. Pharmacog. Rev., 1 (1): 49-52.
- Yan JG, Agresti M, Bruce T, Yan YH, Granlund A &Matloub HS (2007). Effects of cellular phone emissions on sperm motility in rats. J. Fertil.Steril., 88 (4), 957-964.
- Yusuf AO, Mlambo VSO &Iposu SO (2018). A nutritional and economic evaluation of Moringa oleifera leaf meal as a dietary supplement in West African Dwarf goats. South Afri J. Anim Sci, 48 (1): 81-87.
- Zemjanis R (1977). Collection and evaluation of semen. In: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Techniques in Animal Reproduction. 2nd Edition, Williams and Wilkins Co. Baltimore, pp: 139 - 15.