Main Article Content
Reproductive morphometry of Clarias gariepinus (C. gariepinus) is essential in distinguishing different species that are closely related to it and adequate information is required regarding the seasonal variation of milt characteristic of wild species. This study was designed to document the reproductive tract morphometric dimensions and milt characteristics of wild C. gariepinus during spawning and non-spawning seasons in Lake Alau, Maiduguri, Nigeria. Sixty male brood stocks were used comprising thirty each for spawning and non-spawning seasons. The reproductive tracts were removed and their dimensions measured. The milt samples were collected, pooled and evaluated. Results of the study showed that the body weight, sperm concentration and testicular indices differed significantly (p˂0.05) between the two seasons of evaluation. In addition, a positive correlation (p˂ 0.05) between body weight of fish and milt volume (r = 0.656 and r = 0.646) was also observed in both seasons. It was concluded that the left testis of C. gariepinus is heavier, longer and thicker than the right. Nonetheless, the C. gariepinus had larger body weights and higher spermatozoa concentration in spawning season than in non-spawning season; those with larger body weights had higher volume of milt than those with lower body weights.
- Adeyemo, O. K., Adeyemo, O. A., Oyeyemi, M. O. and Agbede. S. A. (2007). Effect of semen extenders on the motility and viability of stored African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) spermatozoa. Journal of Applied Science and Environmental Management 11:13-16.http://www.bioline.org.br/ja
- Azlina, K. N., Khadijah, W. E. W. and Abdullah. R. B. (2011). The effect of body weight on fresh sperm measurement chaacteristics in African catfish (Clarias gariepinus). Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances 10:2215-2220.http://www.medwelljournals.com
- Azlina, K. N., Khadijah, W. E. W. and Abdullah. R. B. (2012). Frozen-thawed sperm motility characteristics of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) by using glycerol or DMSO based extenders. International Journal of Environmental Science and Development, 3:49-55.http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu
- Ben, A. H. (2003). Aquaculture in the tropics; Theory and Practice. Lantern printers, Australia. Page 240.
- Billard, R. (1986). Spermatogenesis and spermatology of some teleost fish species. Reproduction and Nutritional Development 26:877-920.http://hal.archives.fr/hal-00898500
- Brar, R. S., Sandhu,H. S. and Singh, A. (2000). Semen analyses. In Veterinary clinical diagnosis by laboratory methods. 1st edition edition. Kalyani publishers, New Delhi, India. Page168–173.
- Bruton, M. N. and Smith. J. L. B. (1988). Systematic and biology of the clarrid catfish. in T. Hecht, W. Uys, and P. J. Britz, editors. The culture of sharptooth catfish Clarias gariepinus in South Africa. A report of the National Programme for Aquaculture. Institute of Ichthyology.Pages 1-11.https://researchspace.csir.co.za/dspace/bitstream/handle/10204/4739/Hecht%20T1-1998.pdf?sequence=1
- Bustamante, G. J. D., Mariela, G. R., Martha, R. G., Araceli, C. G. and Alejandro. A. R. (2016). Methodologies for evaluation in teleost. International Journal of Aquatic Science 7:95-106.http://www.journal-aquaticscience.com/article_70902.html
- Buyukhatipoglu, S. and Holtz. W. (2001). Sperm output in rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri) effect of age, timing and frequency of stripping and presence of female. Aquaculture 201:301-314. DOI: 10.1016/0044-8486(84)90044-9
- De-Graaf, G. and Janssen. J. (1996). Handbook on the artificial reproduction and pond rearing of the African catfish clarias gariepinus in sub-saharan Africa,in A. G. J. Tacon and M. Page, editors. Fisheries Technical Research Papers FAO, Rome.Page 109. http://www.Inter.nl.net
- DeGraaf, G. J., Galemoni, F. and Banzoussi. B. (1995). The artificial reproduction and fingerling production of the African catfish Clarias gariepinus (Burchell 1822) in protected and unprotected ponds. Aquaculture Research 26:233-242.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.1995.tb00908.x
- Dominic, O. O. and Abiodun. A. E. (2014). Semen quality of spermatozoa mophology of Clarias gariepinus broodstock fed two different feed levels.Researcher Journal 6:28-33.http://www.sciencepub.net/researcher
- Eunice, I., Dolapo, O., Adejoke,A., and Oluwakemi, O. (2017). Aspect of the reproductive biology of Clarias gariepinus in Ogbese River. Research Journal of Fisheries And Hydrobiology 12:7-20.http://www.aensiweb.com/JASA/
- Food and Agricultural Organisation (2000). FAO Fishery Department Country Profile. Projected population and fish demand/supply in Nigeria 1997 – 2025. from FAO: http://www.fao.org/fi/fep/en/NGA/body.htm 02/04/2019
- Fauvel, C., Suquet, M. and Cosson, J. (2010). Evaluation of fish sperm quality. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 26:636-643.http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0426.2010.01529.x
- Fishelson, J., Van Vuren,J. H. J. and Tyran, A. (1994). Ontogenesis and ultrastructure of seminal vesicles of catfish, Clarias gariepinus. Journal of Morphology 219:59-71.https://doi.org/10.1002/jmor.1052190108
- Gjerde, B. (1984). Variation in semen production of farmed Atlantic salmon and rainbow trout. Aquaculture 40:109-114.https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(84)90349-1
- Hafez, E. S. E. and Hafez. B. (2000). Reproduction in farm animals.InB. Hafez and E. S. E. Hafez, editors. appendix iv, USA, pp 481.
- Hamad, A. E. (2014). Morphometric characteristics of Clarias gariepinus from Lake Nubia (Sudan). International Journal of Advanced Research in Biological Science 1:72-77.http://www.ijarbs.com
- Idahor, K. O., Yakubu, A., Umar, A. F. Yahaya, F. and Musa L. A. (2014). Morphometric traits, spermatozoa microscopy and stripped eggs fertilized with milt collected from live African mudfish (Clarias gariepinus). Livestock Research for Rural Development26 (8): 5 – 8. http://www.1rr26/8/idah26150.htm
- Mayom, I. and Mohammed. I. A. (2014). A decade of assessment of Maiduguri urban expansion (2002-2012): Geospatial approach. Global Journal of Human Science 14:1-10.https://globaljournals.org/GJHSS-Volume14/1-A-Decade-Assessmrnt-of-Maiduguri-Urban.pdf
- Megbowon, I., Fashima-Bombata, H. A., Akinwale, M. M., Hammed, A. M., Okunade, O. A., and Mojekwu, T. O. (2013). Breeding Performance of Clarias Gariepinus Obtained from Nigerian Waters. Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science (IOSR-JAVS) 6:06-09.https://www.cenresinjournals.com/2913
- Nagahama, Y. (1983). The functional morphology of teleost gonads. In Fish Physiology Hoar, W.S., Randal, D.J. and Donaldson, E.M (editors),New York, London.pg.223-265.
- Ofelia, G. O., Olaruwaju, I., Olawale, O., Praise, A., Tijesunimu, O., Sunday, A. and Wasu. O. (2012). Cryopreservation of the sperm of the African catfish for the thriving aquaculture in Nigeria. InI. Katkov, editor. Current frontiers in cryopreservation. In Tech., Nigeria, Pages 305-332.
- Orlu, E. E. and Ogbalu, O. K. (2011). Effect of sublethal concentration of Lepidagithis alopecuroides (Vahl) on sperm quality, fertility and hatchability in gravid Clarias gariepinus (Burchell, 1822) broodstock. Research Journal of Environmental Toxicology 5:117-124. DOI: 10.3923/rjet.2011.117.124
- Pauly, D. (1992). Growth performance in fishes: Rigorous description of fish patten as a basis for understanding general mechanisms. Aquabyte 4:3-6.https://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12348/3110
- Qiant, X., Cui, Y., Xie, S., Lei, W., Zhu, X., Xiong, B. and Yang. Y. (2002). Individual variation in growth, food intake and activity in juvenile chinese sturgeon, Acipensersinensisgray. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 18:695-698.http://www.hinter.com.cn
- Rurangwa, E., Kime, D. E. Ollevier, F. and Nash, J. (2004). The measurement of sperm quality and factors affecting sperm quality in cultured fish. Aquaculture 234:1-28.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2003.12.006
- Saeed, H., Bagher, M. A. and Alireza, M. (2010). Fish milt quality and major factor influencing the milt quality parameters: A review. African Journal of Biotechnology9:9148-9154.https://doi.org/10.5897/AJB2010.000-3339
- Stockley, P., Gage,M. J. G., Parker,G. A. and Moller, A. P. (1996). Female reproductive biology and coevulation of ejaculte characteristics in fish. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series.Pages 451-458. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.1996.0068
- Turan, C., Yalcin,S., Turan,F., Okur,E. and Akyurt.I. (2005). Morphometric comparisims of African catfish Clarias gariepinus in Turkey. Folia Zoologica 54:165-172.https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232066808
- Van den Hurk, R., Resink,J. W. and Peute,J. (1987). The seminal vesicles of the African catfish Clarias gariepinus. Cell and Tissue Research 247:573-582.https://doi.org/101007/BF00215751
- Van Oordt, P. G. W. J. and Goos, H. J. T. H. (1987). The African catfish, Clarias gariepinus, a model for the study of reproductive endocrinology inTeleosts. Aquaculture 63:15-26.https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(87)90058-5
- Viveen, W. J. A. R., Richter, C. J. J., Van -Oordt, P. G. W., Janssen, J. and Huisman, E. A. (1985). Practical manual for the culture of the African catfish, Clarias gariepinus. in"Section for Research and Technology, Ministry for Development Cooperation" Hague, T Ed., Ministry for development coorperation, Netherlands.Page 128
- Viveiros, A. T. M., Komen, J. and So, N. (2000). Sperm cryopreservation of African catfish, Clarias gariepinus: cryoprotectants, freezing and sperm:egg dilution ratio. Theriogenology 54:1395-1408. DOI: 10.1016/S0093-691X(00)00462-3
- Vuthiphandchai, V. and Zohar, Y. (2007). Age-related sperm quality of captive striped bass morone sexatilis. World Journal of Aquaculture 30:65-72. DOI:10.1111/j.1749-7345.1999.tb00318.x
- Yasser, A. A., Nada,A. A., and Ahmed, Z. Z. (2013). Morphological and histomorphological structure of testes of the catfish Clarias gariepinus from Egypt. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. 16:624 – 629. http://scialert.net/abstract/?doi=pjbs.2013.624.629
- Yusuf, B. and Ilker, Y. (2017). Effect of extender composition, glycerol levels, and thawing rates on motility and fertility of cryopreserved wild African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) sperm. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh 6:1 – 7. https://www.academia.edu/31309456
- Yusuf, O. Y., Adeshina,I. and Adewale, A. Y. (2015). Comparative studies of some semen physical characteristics of cultured and wild African catfish (Clarais gariepinus) broodstock. Gashua Journal of Irrigation and Desertification Studies 1:173-180. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/310464192
- Zakariah, M., Yahaya, A., Sonfada, M. L., and Wiam, I. (2016). Male organ of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) in spawning and non-spawning period in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria. Sokoto Journal of Veterinary Sciences 14:34 – 38. http://dx.doi/10.4314/sokjvs.v14:1.6