Main Article Content
Hygrophila auriculata (H. auricalata) plant extract was studied for it phytochemical constituents, acute toxicity and its anti-diarrhoea l activity in albino rats using standard procedure. The phytochemical screening revealed the presence of cardiac glycosides, terpenoids and saponins. The acute toxicity of the extract was above 2000 mg/kg b. wt which is slightly toxic. The result of castor oil induced diarrhoea model indicates that the extract at all test doses was significant (p<0.05). Similarly, the extract produced a significant (p<0.05) decline in the weight and volume of intestinal contents at all tested doses. In addition, a significant (p<0.05) reduction in the gastrointestinal motility in charcoal meal test was also observed in all doses of the extract administered. This activity may be attributed to the presence of the identified phytchemicals in the plant extract. The results in this study confirmed the anti-diarrhoea. l activity of the aerial part of H. auriculata and hence support the folkloric believe and provide the scientific basis for the traditional use of this plant in the treatment of diarrhoea.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- Akah, P.A. (1996). Anti-diarrheal activity of Kigelia afriana in experimental animals. J Herbs, Spices and Med Plants 4:31-8.
- Akah, P.A. and Nwafor, S.V. (1999). Studies on anti – ulcer properties of Cassampelos mucronata leaf extract. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 37: 936 – 938.
- Alam, S. and Bhatnagar, S. (2006). Current status of anti-diarrheal and anti-secretory drugs in the management of acute childhood diarrhea. Ind. J. Pediatr., 73(8): 693– 696.
- Ataka, K., Ito, M. and Shibata, T. (2005). New views of antidiarrheal effect of wood creosote: Is wood creosote really a gastrointestinal antiseptic? Yakugaku Zasshi: 125:137-950.
- Babaeli, M., Abarghoei M.E., Akhavan M.M., Ansari, R., Vafaei, A.A., Taherian, A.A., Mousavi S. & Toussy J. (2007). Antimotility effect of hydroalcoholic extract of yarrow (Achillea millefolium) on the guinea-pig ileum.Pak. J. Biol. Sci.. 10: 3673-3677.
- Baggio, C.H., Freitas, C.S., Mayer, B., Dos Santos, A.C., Twardowschy A., Potrich F. B., Cipriani T. R., De Souza L. M., Sassaki G. L., Iacomini M., Marques M. C. & Mesia-Vela S. (2009). Muscarinic-dependent inhibition of gastric emptying and intestinal motility by fractions of Maytenus ilicifolia Mart ex. Reissek. J. Ethnopharmacol. 123: 385-391.
- Beubler, E. and Juan, H. (1979). Effect of ricin oleic acid and other laxatives on net water flux and prostaglandin E released by the rat colon. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 31:681-685.
- Chaddha, V., Kushwah, A.S. & Shrivastava, V. (2013). An importance of herbal drugs as antidiarrheal: a review. Intl. J. Res. Appl, Nat. Soc. Sci..1 (7): 25–28.
- Cioms and Iclas (2012). Council for International Organiza- tions of Medical Sciences and the International Council for Laboratory Animal Science. International Guiding Principles for Biomedical Research Involving Animal, December 2012.
- Cowan, M. M. (1999). Plant products as antimicrobial agents. Clin. Microbiol. 12:564-582
- Dixon WJ (1991). Staircase Bioassay: The up and down method. Neurosci. Biobehav. R. 15 (1), 47-50.
- Erhirhie, O., Ihekwereme, C.P and Ilodigwe E.E. (2018). Review: Advances in acute toxicity testing: strengths, weaknesses and regulatory acceptance Earnest. Interdiscip Toxicol. 11(1): 5–12.
- Gascon, J., Vargas, M. and Schellenberg, D. (2000). Diarrhea in Children under 5 Years of Age from Ifakara, Tanzania: a Case-Control Study. J Clin Microbiol. 38: 4459–4462.
- Gnanavel, V., Veluchamy, P. & Anand, P.R. (2018). Phytochemical and Pharmacological Importance of Plant Secondary Metabolites in Modern Medicine. In book: Bioorganic Phase in Natural Food: An Overview.
- Grooms, D.L. (2004). Reproductive consequences of infection with bovine viral diarrhea virus. The Veterinary Clinics of North America. Food Anim. Pract. 20(1):5-19.
- House, J.A. (1978). Economic impact of rotavirus and other neonatal disease agents of animals. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 173: 573-576.
- http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx? Hygrophila auriculata in Flora of Pakistan, at Efloras.org at. Accessed 9th may 2020
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygrophila_auriculata. Accessed 9th may 2020
- Jones, P. and Kinghorn D. (2006). Extraction of plant secondary metabolites. In: Sarker D, Latif Z, Gray A, editors. Methods in Biotechnology Natural Products Isolation. 2nd ed. Totowa, New Jersey: Human Press pp. 269–273.
- Kangwan, N., Park, J.M., Kim, E.H. & Hahm, K.B. (2014). Quality of healing of gastric ulcers: Natural products beyond acid suppression. World J Gastrointest Pathophysiol. 5(1):40-7.
- Loomis, T.A. and Hayes, A.W. (1996). Loomis’s essentials of toxicology. 4. California: Academic press; . 208–245.
- Mascolo, N., Izzo, A.A., Barbato, F. & Capasso, F. (1993). Inhibitors of nitric oxide synthetase prevent castor-oil-induced diarrhoea in the rat. Br J Pharmacol. 108 (4) 861–864.
- Matias, J. R., Martin, J.L. & Burns, T.W. (1978). Ricinoleic acid effect on the electrical activity of the small intestine in rabbits. J Clin Invest.61:640–644.
- McQuaid, K.R. (2012). Drugs used in the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases. In Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, B. G. Katzung, S. B. Masters, and A. J. Trevor, Eds., pp. 1081–1115, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA.
- Medscape.(2020). How are acute and chronic diarrhea defined? https://www.medscape.com/answers/928598-25392/how-are-acute-and-chronic-diarrhea-defined.Accessed 9th- march- 2020
- OECD, (2000). Guidance Document on Acute Oral Toxicity. Environmental Health and Safety monograph Series on Testing and Assessment No 24.
- Orooba, M.S.I. and Muhammad, M.S. (2016). Evaluation of Punica granatum Peels Extracts and its Phenolic, Alkaloid and Terpenoid Constituents Against Chemically Induced Diarrhoea in Rats. Adv. Anim. Vet. Sci, 4 (3):161.168
- Park, K. (2000). Park’s. Textbook of Preventive and Social Medicine. Jabalpur, India: M/S Banarsidas Bharat Publishers; pp. 172–175.
- Reda, A., Seyoum, B. and Yimam, J. (2011). Antibiotic susceptibility patterns of Salmonella and Shigella isolates in Harar, Eastern Ethiopia. J Infect Dis Immun. 3:134–139.
- Robert, A. C., Joseph, G. B. & Nicola, G. (1984). Efficacy of Ipecac and Activated Charcoal/Cathartic Prevention of Salicylate Absorption in a SimulatedOverdose. Arch Intern Med .144(1):48-52.
- Sarvananda, L. and Premarathna, A.D. (2018). Ethnopharmacolological potential and medicinal uses of Hygrophila auriculata. J Ayu Herb Med. 4(4):185-188.
- Sodipo, O. A and Wannang, N. N. (2015). Ethnopharmacological Survey of Plants Used by Trado-Medical Practitioners (TMPs) in the Treatment of Typhoid Fever in Gomari Airport Ward, Jere Local Government Area, Borno State, Nigeria. American J. Ethnomed., 2 (4) 184-218.
- Sorouri, M., Pouhoseinli, M. A., Vehedi, M., and Moghimi-Dehkordi, B. (2010). Functional bowel disorders in Iranian population using Rome III criteria. Saudi J. Gastroenterol 16:154-160.
- Snyder, J.D. & Merson, M.H. (1982). The magnitude of the global problem of acute diarrhoeal disease: a review of active surveil- lance data, Bulletin of the WHO. 60(4): 605–613,
- Tagne, F.M.A., Rekabi, Y., Noubissi, P.A., Fankem, G.O., Akaou, H., Wambe, H. and Kamgang, R. (2019). Evaluation of Antidiarrheal Activity of Aqueous Leaf Extract of Anogeissus leiocarpus on Castor OilInduced Diarrhea in Rats. Am J Biomed Sci & Res. 3(1): 27-34. AJBSR.MS.ID.000629.
- Than, A., Kulkarni, H. J., Hmone, W. and Tha, S.J. (1989). Anti-diarrhoeal efficacy of some Burmese indigenous drug formulations in experimental diarrhoeal test models. Int. J. Crude Drug Res. 27:195–200.
- Thapar, N. and Sanderson, I.R. (2004). Review on diarrhea in children: an interface between developing and developed countries. Lancet.363:641–653.
- Trease, G.E. and Evans, W.C. (2002). Pharmacognosy. 15th ed. London: WB Saunders; pp. 33–35.
- Tsai, H.H., Lin, H.W., Pickard, S.A., Tsai, H.Y. & Mahady, G.B.(2012). Evaluation of documented drug interactions and contraindications associated with herbs and dietary supplements: a systematic literature review.Int J Clin Pract. 66(11):1056-78.
- Umeh, E.U., Oluma, H.O.A. and Igoli, J.O. (2005). Antibacterial screening of four local plants using an indicator base microdilusion technique. Afri. J. Trad. 2(3): 238-243.
- Wendy, B.M.D. & Andrew S.M.D. (2014). Acute Diarrhea in Adults.Am Fam Physician. 89(3):180-189.