Main Article Content
Under conditions of oxidative stress, erythrocytes of goats could be predisposed to haemolysis. This study was aimed at evaluating the effect of oxidant exposure to goat erythrocytes using an in vitro model. Blood samples from 10 goats were incubated with 0.06 – 0.18 mM hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) either singly or in combination with 0.02 µM dexamethasone for 60 min, and erythrocyte parameters such as packed cell volume (PCV), red blood cell count (RBC), mean corpuscular volume (MCV) and percentage haemolysis in hypotonic sucrose solution (250 mOsmol/L) were determined thereafter. No significant changes in the mean values of all parameters were observed. The in vitro model indicated that erythrocyte parameters remained stable under low-grade oxidant exposure in goats. Therefore, plasma H2O2 concentration of ≤ 0.18 mM, whether in the presence or absence of 0.02 µM dexamethasone, may not induce apparent oxidative damage in goat erythrocytes that could be estimated by PCV, RBC, MCV and sucrose-based osmotic fragility at low hypotonicity.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- Ajila, C.M. and Rao, U.P. (2008). Protection against hydrogen peroxide induced oxidative damage in rat erythrocytes by Mangifera indica L. peel extract. Food Chem Toxicol, 46(1), pp.303-309.
- An, F., Wang, S., Yuan, D., Gong, Y. and Wang, S. (2016). Attenuation of oxidative stress of erythrocytes by plant-derived flavonoids, orientin and luteolin. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, vol. 2016, Article ID 3401269, 8 pages, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/3401269.
- Bissinger, R., Bhuyan, A.A.M., Qadri, S.M. and Lang, F. (2019). Oxidative stress, eryptosis and anemia: a pivotal mechanistic nexus in systemic diseases. FEBS J, 286(5), pp.826-854.
- Bjelaković, G., Beninati, S., Pavlović, D., Kocić, G., Jevtović, T., Kamenov, Β., Šaranac, L.J., Bjelaković, B., Stojanović, I. and Bašić, J. (2007). Glucocorticoids and oxidative stress. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol, 18(2), pp.115-128.
- Cooper, B.J. (2002). Disease at the cellular level. Mechanisms of disease. Slauson, DO, BJ Cooper, Eds.) Mosby. Inc. St. Louis, pp.16-76.
- Eid, Y., Ebeid, T. and Younis, H. (2006). Vitamin E supplementation reduces dexamethasone-induced oxidative stress in chicken semen. Br Poult Sci, 47(3), pp.350-356.
- Eid, Y.Z., Ohtsuka, A. and Hayashi, K. (2003). Tea polyphenols reduce glucocorticoid-induced growth inhibition and oxidative stress in broiler chickens. Br Poult Sci, 44(1), pp.127-132.
- Glaji, Y.A., Mani, A.U. and Igbokwe, I.O. (2014). Relationship of faecal egg count with packed cell volume and anaemia in Sahel sheep and goats in semi-arid northeastern Nigeria. Comp Clin Path, 23(5), pp.1195-1201.
- Gradinski-Vrbanac, B., Stojevic, Z., Milinkovic-Tur, S., Balenovic, T., Pirsljin, J. and Zdelar-Tuk, M. (2002). In vitro susceptibility of duck, chicken, and pig erythrocyte lipids to peroxidation. Vet Med (Praha) -, 47(10/11), pp.303-308.
- Hale, J.P., Winlove, C.P. and Petrov, P.G. (2011). Effect of hydroperoxides on red blood cell membrane mechanical properties. Biophys J, 101(8), pp.1921-1929.
- Igbokwe, I.O., Esievo, K.A.N., Saror, D.I. and Obagaiye, O.K. (1994). Increased susceptibility of erythrocytes to in vitro peroxidation in acute Trypanosoma brucei infection of mice. Vet Parasitol, 55(4), pp.279-286.
- Igbokwe, I.O., Umar, I.A., Omage, J.J., Ibrahim, N.D.G., Kadima, K.B., Obagaiye, O.K., Saror, D.I. and Esievo, K.A.N. (1996). Effect of acute Trypanosoma vivax infection on cattle erythrocyte glutathione and susceptibility to in vitro peroxidation. Vet Parasitol, 63(3-4), pp.215-224.
- Igbokwe, N.A. (2018). A review of the factors that influence erythrocyte osmotic fragility. Sokoto J Vet Sci, 16(4), pp.1-23.
- Igbokwe, N.A. and Igbokwe, I.O. (2016). Phenotypic homogeneity with minor deviance in osmotic fragility of Sahel goat erythrocytes in non-ionic sucrose media during various physiologic states. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol, 27(6), pp.633-641.
- Igbokwe, N.A. (2016). Characterization of the osmotic stability of Sahel goat erythrocytes in ionic and non-ionic hypotonic media (Doctoral dissertation, PhD thesis, Department of Physiology, Pharmacology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri, Nigeria).
- Jaramillo, M.C., Frye, J.B., Crapo, J.D., Briehl, M.M. and Tome, M.E. (2009). Increased manganese superoxide dismutase expression or treatment with manganese porphyrin potentiates dexamethasone-induced apoptosis in lymphoma cells. CancerRes, 69(13), pp.5450-5457.
- Lang, E. and Lang, F. (2015). Triggers, inhibitors, mechanisms, and significance of eryptosis: the suicidal erythrocyte death. Biomed Res Int, 2015.
- Lang, F., Abed, M., Lang, E. and Föller, M. (2014). Oxidative stress and suicidal erythrocyte death. Antioxid Redox Signal, 21(1), pp.138-153.
- Lightbody, J.H., Stevenson, L.M., Jackson, F., Donaldson, K. and Jones, D.G. (2001). Comparative aspects of plasma antioxidant status in sheep and goats, and the influence of experimental abomasal nematode infection. J Comp Pathol, 124(2-3), pp.192-199.
- Minka, N.S. and Ayo, J.O. (2010). Physiological responses of erythrocytes of goats to transportation and the modulatory role of ascorbic acid. J Vet Med Sci, pp. 875–881.
- Mohanty, J., Nagababu, E. and Rifkind, J.M., 2014. Red blood cell oxidative stress impairs oxygen delivery and induces red blood cell aging. Front Physiol, 5, p.84. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2014.00084.
- Morabito, R., Romano, O., La Spada, G. and Marino, A. (2016). H2O2-induced oxidative stress affects SO4= transport in human erythrocytes. PLoS One, 11(1).
- Myers, R.K., McGavin, M.D. and Zachary, J.F. (2012). Cellular adaptations, injury, and death: morphologic, biochemical, and genetic bases. Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease, 1, pp.29-30.
- Nezhentsev, M.V. (1981). Effect of hydrocortisone and cholinolytics on the resistance of rat erythrocytes to hypoosmotic hemolysis. Famakol Toksikol (Kiev), 44(2), pp.188-191.
- Oyebanji, B.O., Olatoye, O.S. and Oyewole, O. (2015). Effects of methanolic leaf, bark and fruit extracts of Kigelia africana on haematology and erythrocyte membrane stability in rats. Sokoto J Vet Sci, 13(2), pp.1-5.
- Qasim, N. and Mahmood, R. (2015). Diminution of oxidative damage to human erythrocytes and lymphocytes by creatine: possible role of creatine in blood. PLoS One, 10(11). e0141975.doi:10.1371/Journal.pone. 0141975.
- Rand, P.W., Lacombe, E., Barker, N.D. and Kallechey, G.L. (1977). Effects of methylprednisolone on the physical properties of the human red cell. J Lab Clin Med, 89(6), pp.1241-1250.
- Reddy, C.S.S., Subramanyam, M.V.V., Vani, R. and Devi, S.A. (2007). In vitro models of oxidative stress in rat erythrocytes: effect of antioxidant supplements. Toxicol In Vitro, 21(8), pp.1355-1364.
- Repsold, L. and Joubert, A.M. (2018). Eryptosis: An erythrocyte’s suicidal type of cell death. Biomed Res Int, 2018, article ID 9405816.
- Schalm, O.W., Jain, N.C. and Caroll, E.J. (1975). Veterinary Haematology, Lea and Febiger. Philedelphia, USA, 807.
- Schildknecht, P.H. and Vidal, B.C. (2004). Aluminium triggers necrosis and apoptosis in V79 cells. Toxicol Environ Chem, 86(1), pp.63-72.
- Schimmer, B. and Parker, K. (1996). Adrenocorticotrophic hormone, adrenocortical steroids and their synthetic analogs, inhibitors of synthesis and actions of adrenocortical hormones. Goodman and Gilman’s The Pharmacologic Basis of Therapeutics (Hardman EA, editor). McGraw-Hill, New York, Pp 1459-1485.
- Srour, M.A., Bilto, Y.Y., Juma, M. and Irhimeh, M.R. (2000). Exposure of human erythrocytes to oxygen radicals causes loss of deformability, increased osmotic fragility, lipid peroxidation and protein degradation. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc, 23(1), pp.13-21.
- Torres-Roca, J.F., Tung, J.W., Greenwald, D.R., Brown, J.M., Herzenberg, L.A., Herzenberg, L.A. and Katsikis, P.D. (2000). An early oxygen-dependent step is required for dexamethasone-induced apoptosis of immature mouse thymocytes. J Immunol, 165(9), pp.4822-4830.
- Włodek, L. and Kusior, D., (2006). Oxidative hemolysis of erythrocytes. Biochem Mol Biol Educ, 34(6), pp.438-443.