Main Article Content
Normal levels of platelets and erythrocytes parameters and the effect of breed and sex on them in healthy police dogs were determined. Forty-six dogs were used; 20 Labrador Retriever and 26 German Shepherd dogs comprising 21 males and 25 females, 20-83 months old. Five ml blood samples were collected from the cephalic vein; and analyzed using BK6100 Auto Hematology Analyzer. German Shepherd dogs showed significantly (p≤0.05) higher values than Labrador Retriever dogs for Mean platelet volume (MPV) (10.43±0.71vs. 9.9±0.73 FL), Red blood cells count (RBCs) (6.75±0.26 vs. 6.51±0.27 x1012 /L), and Hemoglobin concentration (HGB) (180.81±9.53vs.172.4±11.98 g/L), respectively. Highly positive significant correlations (p≤0.01) were found between Platelet count (PLT) and Plateletcrit (PCT) in males, females, and all dogs, and between MPV and Platelets distribution width (PDW) in all dogs. A highly positive significant correlation (p≤0.01) was found between MPV and PCT in all dogs. A highly negative significant correlation (p≤0.01) was found between PDW and RBCs and Red cell blood distribution width- index (RDW-CV) in males and all dogs. Also, a highly positive significant (p≤0.01) correlation was found between PDW and Mean corpuscular volume (MCV) in all dogs. A highly significant negative correlation (p≤0.01) was found between MPV and RBCs in males. A highly negative significant correlation (p≤0.01) was found between MPV and RDW (CV) in males. However, highly positive significant correlations (p≤0.01) were found between MPV and Hematocrit (HCT) in females. The breed may influence platelets and erythrocyte parameters and this should be considered in clinical interpretations.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- Abdeen, A. M. (2005). Effects of Smelling Narcotics on Some Biochemical Parameters in German Shepherd Dogs.M.Sc. thesis, University of Khartoum, Sudan.
- Adebiyi, O. E., Ajayi, J. O. and Olayemi, F. O. (2014). Haematology of Rottweiler dog in a tropical environment. New York Science Journal, 7(9): 1-4.
- Adekola, A. A., Jagun, A. T., Emikpe, B. O. and Antia, R. E. (2015). Baseline haematology and erythrocyte morphological changes of apparently normal dogs raised in Ibadan, Oyo State. Nigerian Journal of Physiological Sciences, 30(1-2) 111-118.
- Ajala, O. O., Fayemi, O. O., and Kolawole, T. O. (2011). Short Communication Erythrocyte parameters as indicators for differentiating between the pregnant and pseudo pregnant bitches in Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Physiological Sciences, 26(1) 19 – 22.
- Aniołek, O., Barc, A., Jarosińska, A., and Gajewski, Z. (2018). Evaluation of frequency and intensity of asymptomatic anisocytosis in the Japanese dog breeds Shiba, Akita, and Hokkaido. Acta Veterinaria Brno, 86(4), 385-391.
- Awad-Elkareem, A., Israa, I.,Razaz, Y.,Eman,A Reem, M.,Sara,M.,Haifa,A. and Adam.,A. (2015).Reference value of Platelets count and indices in Sudanese using Sysmex KX-21. International Journal of Healthcare Sciences, 3(2): 120-125.
- Bommer, N. X., Shaw, D. J., Milne, E. M., and Ridyard, A. E. (2008). Platelet distribution width and mean platelet volume in the interpretation of thrombocytopenia in dogs. Journal of Small Animal Practice, 49(10), 518-524.
- Bourgès‐Abella, N., Geffré, A., Concordet, D., Braun, J. P., and Trumel, C. (2011). Canine reference intervals for the Sysmex XT‐2000iV hematology analyzer. Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 40(3), 303-315.
- Çayir, C. and Kozat, S. (2016). Investigation of homocysteine levels in healthy dogsJournal of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, 4(3): 305-310.
- Erickson, H. H., Goff, J. P., and Uemura, E. E. (2015). Dukes' physiology of domestic animals. A John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.Chichester, UK.
- Fabisiak, M., Sapierzynski, R. and Klucinski, W. (2010). Analysis of haematological abnormalities observed in dogs infected by a large Babesia. Bulletin of the Veterinary Institute in Pulawy, 54: 167-170.
- Hussein, M. F., Al-Jumaah, R. S., Alhaidary, A. A., Alshaikh, M. A., Elnabi, A. G., Mohammed, O. B. and Macasero, W. V. (2009). Blood Platelet Indices and Parallel Red Cell Parameters in the Arabian Mountain Gazelle (Gazella gazella). Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 4(7): 785-788.
- Hussein. M., Aljumaah. R., Alhaidary. A., Alshaikh. M., Mohammed. O., Omer. S., Gar-Elnabi. A. and Macasero. W. (2010). Platelets indices of the dromedary camel (Camelus dromedaries). VeterinarskiArhiv, 80 (3):375-382.
- Hussein, M. F., Elnabi, A. G., Aljarf, A. N., Aljumaah, R. S., Bakhiet, A. O. and Alshaikh, M. A. (2012). Variation of the platelet indices of dromedary camel (Camelus dromedarius) with age, sex and breed. African Journal of Biotechnology, 11(19): 4478-4483.
- Nagata, Y., Yoshikawa, J., Hashimoto, A., Yamamoto, M., Payne, A. H. and Todokoro, K. (2003). Proplatelet formation of megakaryocytes is triggered by autocrine-synthesized estradiol. Genes & Development, 17(23):2864-2869.
- Nidaa, A.M., Ahmed.S.H, Shadia, A., O. and Abdelsammad, G., H. (2017) "Platelet Indices in Male and Female German Shepherd Dogs in theSudan." IOSR Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science, 10(7): 60-63.
- Reddy, R. S., Khan, I. M. and Phansalkar, D. M. (2015). Platelet Distribution Width (PDW) in Thrombocytopenia. Indian Medical Gazette, 188: 169-174.
- Santimone, I., Di Castelnuovo, A. F., De Curtis, A., Spinelli, M., Cugino, D., Gianfagna, F. and Iacoviello, L. (2011). White blood cells count, sex and age are major determinants of platelet indices heterogeneity in an adult general population: results from the MOLI-SANI project. Haematologica, 96.8, 1180-1188.
- Schneider, L. and Mischke, R. (2016). Platelet variables in healthy dogs: reference intervals and influence of age, breed and sex. Comparative Clinical Pathology, 25(6):1097-1106.
- Schwartz, D., Sharkey, L., Armstrong, P. J., Knudson, C. and Kelley, J. (2014). Platelet volume and plateletcrit in dogs with presumed primary immune‐mediated thrombocytopenia. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 28(5):1575-1579.
- Suljević, D.,Muhamed, F., Dunja, R. and Amir, Z. (2016). Comparative analysis of hematological parameters in working police dogs. Macedonian Journal of Animal Science, 6(1):65-70.
- Temizel, E.M., Cihan, H., Yilmaz, Z. and Aytug, N. (2011). Evaluation of erythrocyte and platelet indices in canine visceral leishmaniasis. Ankara ÜniversitesiVeterinerFakültesiDergisi, 58(3):185-188.
- Vojta, L., Mrljak, V. and Beck, R. (2012). Haematological and biochemical parameters of canine hepatozoonosis in Croatia. VeterinarskiArhiv, 82(4):359-370.
- Weiss, D.J. and Wardrop, K.J. E. (2011). Schalm's veterinary hematology. A John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Publication. Chichester, UK.
- Wiwanitkit, V. (2004). Plateletcrit, mean platelet volume, platelet distribution width: its expected values and correlation with parallel red blood cell parameters. Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis, 10(2), 175-178.
- Żmigrodzka, M., Guzera, M. and Winnicka, A. (2014). Evaluation of reticulated platelets in dogs witbreed-related thrombocytopenia. Polish Journal of Veterinary Sciences, 17(1):137-142.