Main Article Content
This study determined the influence of age on haematological and serum biochemical parameters and lipid profiles of stallions in Ilorin, Nigeria. Blood samples of 50 (3-16 years of age) apparently healthy stallions were collected from different stables within Ilorin metropolis, and haematological and serum biochemical parameters were determined according to standard procedures. The stallions were grouped into three: <5 years (n=12), 6-11 years (n=33) and >11 years (n=5). The values obtained were subjected to a one-way ANOVA (p<0.05) using Tukey’s multiple comparison test as post test to determine the significant differences in the haematological and serum biochemical parameters in relation to age differences. Stallions with less than 5 years of age showed significant (p< 0.001) increase in PCV, red blood cell and haemoglobin counts when compared with stallions aged 6-11 years and above 11 years. Serum albumin and triglycerides for the <5 years of age stallion significantly reduced and increased respectively when compared to the stallions aged 6-11 years and above 11 years. There was no significant difference in cholesterol, white blood cell, neutrophils and lymphocytes counts. Age influences haematological and serum biochemical parameters in stallions. This is more noticeable in stallions aged five years and below. The findings from this study will guide clinicians in interpretations of haematological and serum biochemical values in different age group of stallions.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- Abiodun, D. O. and Gbenga, O. (2016). Developing education-based management system using geo-spatial analysis for selected secondary schools in Ilorin West Local Government Area, Kwara State, Nigeria. Inter. J.Sci. Tech. Edu. Res., 7(3): 25–34. http://dx.doi.org/10.5897/IJSTER2016.0355
- Agina, O. A. and Ihedioha, J. I. (2017). Occurrence of Wounds in Nigerian Horses. J. Appl. Ani. Wel. Sci. Routledge. 20(4): 372–380. https://doi.org/10.1080/10888705.2017.1343149
- Aiello, S. E., Moses, M. A. and Allen, D. G. (2016). The Merck Veterinary Manual. Abuelo A. (Eds) New Jersey. Merck & co, Inc.
- Altinsaat, Ç. (2008). The Effects of Age and Gender on Blood Parameters in Arabian Horses. Kafkas. Univ. Vet. Fak. Derg. 14(2): 173–178.
- Barrelet, A. and Ricketts, S. (2002). Haematology and blood biochemistry in the horse: A guide to interpretation. In Practice. 24(6): 318–327. https://doi.org/10.1136/inpract.24.6.318
- Cruz, N. I. D. L., Merino, J. O., López, E. A., Monreal, A. E., Aguirre, G., Rangel, J.A. and Venegas, C. (2017). Effect of Age , Gender , and Season on Hematological Parameters in Quarter Horses. J. Vet. Sci. Med. Diagn. 6(2): 2–5. https://doi:10.4172/2325-9590.1000224
- Egbe-Nwiyi, T. N., Kalu, N. A. and Naphtali, C. (2012). Preliminary Studies on Some Haematological and Serum Biochemical Parameters of Apparently Healthy Adult Horses in Maiduguri, Nigeria. Afri. J. Biomed. Res. 15:49–53. https://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajbr/article/view/95274/84620
- Evans, P. and Jack, N. (2007). Aging Horses by Their Teeth. Uni. Arkansas system. 6:1–4.
- Garba, U., Sackey, A. K. B., Lawal, I. A. and Esievo, K. A. N. (2015). Clinical Signs of Experimental Trypanosoma Evansi Infection in Donkeys: Ameliorative Effects of Isometamidium Chloride and Buparvaquone Treatments. J. Vet. Adv. 5(4): 891-901
- Grden, D., Gotić, J., Karol Šimonji, K., Kučer, N., Mrljak, V., Šmit, I., Martina Crnogaj, M and Matijatko, V. (2019) Hematological and biochemical reference intervals for adult croatian posavac horse. Vet. Arhiv. 89(6): 771–783. https://DOI:10.24099/vet.arhiv.0738
- Ihedioha, J. I. and Agina, O. A. (2013). Serum biochemistry profile of Nigerian horses (Equus caballus, Linnaeus 1758). Ani. Res. Inter. 10(3) :1826–1833. https://DOI:10.4314/ARI.V10I3
- Jain, N. C. and Schalm, O. W. (1986). In: Schalm’s Veterinary Haematology. Lea and Febiger (Eds). Philadelphia: Elsevier Ltd.
- Mikniene, Z. Maslauskas, K., Sigita Kerzienė, S., Jūratė Kučinskienė, J. and Kučinskas, A. (2014). The effect of age and gender on blood haematological and serum biochemical parameters in Žemaitukai horses. Vet. Med. Zoot. 65(87): 37–43.
- National Bureau of Statistics (2017). Annual Abstract of Statistics’, Nigeria National Bureau of Statistics. Available at: http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/pdfuploads/Annual Abstract Statistics Volume-1.pdf
- Ribeiro, C. R., Fagliari, J. and Galera, P. (2008). Hematological profile of healthy Pantaneiro horses. Arq. Bras. Med. Vet. Zootec. 60(2): 492-495. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-09352008000200033
- Santos, F. C. C., Feijó, L. S., Kasinger, S., Junior, F. F., Curcio, B. R. and Nogueira, C. E. W. (2014). Hematologic values of thoroughbred foals from birth to six months of age. Cienc. Anim. Bras. 15(3): 307-312. https://doi.org/10.1590/1809-6891v15i323935
- Stockham, S. L. and Scott, M. A. (2008). Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Pathology. 2nd edn, Blackwell Publishing Company.
- Valerie, P., Lawrence, A., Stephen, J.G., Hall, D. and Phillip, S. (2016). Mason's World Encyclopedia of Livestock Breeds and Breeding (sixth edition). Wallingford: CABI. ISBN 9781780647944.